Tuesday, May 11, 2010

If you were seriously ill, would you take the medicine?

I mean if you had liver cancer or something and the government was willing to pay for your treatment but all together it would cost... 拢2000/$2000- wherever you live. most people would immediately say ';yes of course I don't want to die'; but I would say ';no';. This is why:





拢2000 might save my life but 拢20 could save a poor starving child in Africa. that is why I see it as a waste of money. Sure it is entirely up to you if you want to survive or not, im not telling you to do anything but the way I see it is that if I were to use the money in a different place, it could be a lot A LOT more effective.If you were seriously ill, would you take the medicine?
Yes, because I care about my own life and the lives of my friends and family. I couldn't care less (except in an abstract way) about a load of people I've never met and never will.





That's genetics and human nature - your own 'tribe' (who you are likely to share DNA with) comes before outsiders with whom you compete for food and resources. It's the way we evolved and is ingrained deep within us.





Anyone who says they value the life of a stranger above their own is either a liar, a saint of just crazy!





EDIT:





you should choose a best answer anyway - controversial questions are the only interesting ones on YA! :)If you were seriously ill, would you take the medicine?
There are too many people in the world. I would use the money to cure myself (if I was under like 50, if I was older than that, I'd just die - it's not worth it after that) because one person staying alive long terms would be better than saving say 10 african kids from starvation in the short term. Once that money runs out, those kids are going to be starving and poor again, because their countries do not have the resources to provide them with jobs, food, health care etc. It would be cruel to help them for a bit, but then once the money runs out leave them as they were.
No I wouldn't take the medicine as it's been tested on animals in a cruel and barbaric way. Chemo would only prolong your life by a couple of months and make you very ill. Saying that I wouldn't want the money to go to Africa, but I would donate it to stop animal testing which is unnecessary.
Using your reasoning lots of people should kill themselves to allow a younger, healthier person to have a better life.


Old people are just waiting around to die, so we should kill them so they don't breath good air and eat food that some younger, healthier person could eat.
The problem you are not addressing is that 拢20 might save a life in Africa, but it doesn't resolve the constant problem of food and water. 拢20 won't resolve that problem, it would only make you feel better about yourself.
Well I don't believe the NHS offers the option of either treatment or donating moeny to charity instead, maybe you should write to your MP and suggest it. If you truly do this it would make you the most selfless person in the world ever.
Of course children in Africa are starving, but my first and foremost thoughts would be with my family and friends, and putting them and myself first. As selfish as that sounds, I think you'll find 99% of people feel the same!
Yes I would take the medicine. It's a dog eat dog world out there - survival of the fittest.





I can't see many people would be willing to die so I can live so why the hell would I do it for anyone else?
Why do I guess you are probably a hypocrite?


Do you send your entire wages to that child in Africa every week?


If so I apologize
Yes, I am responsible for survival at any cost and support my children, not kids in Africa.
No. How can you say using the money elsewhere would be more effective than saving one of our lives.
First off, You are talking about The Government's health care - right? and THEY said they would spend 2000 pounds on you, in an attempt to save your life! Say, this medicine has terrible side affects, and the Gov. can't guarantee success in curing your ailment, especially if they want to use Chemo! Me! I would refuse it! It would all depend on my age - seeing as I'm over 70, I've had a good life, so spend the money on some younger person, The sad thing about what you suggest is, the Gov. would never give that money to a starving child in Africe, or any other place! I would say - send it to research, where, if they could find a cure, that would save more than one life. Stem cell for one. I myself really don't believe all the medications on the market are worth two pennies! The companies manufacturing this stuff are in it more the money - we are nothing but guinea pigs to them! It's hit and miss situation But, your thoughts are good, and your heart is in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment