Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What would you do if you found out you were terminally ill?

Had a year or less to liveWhat would you do if you found out you were terminally ill?
I'd sign everything over to my son and enjoy the time I had left, unless I were in a lot of pain then I'd take a lead pill.What would you do if you found out you were terminally ill?
The only thing I would change is that I would spend more time with my friends.





I have only a handful - literally - of friends. I try to keep my distance to give them space (they are in relationships/married and I am not). Unfortunately, I'm a clingy type of person. I can spend a lot of time with close people and not get sick of them. I always try to keep my distance and have been quite used to doing a lot on my own.





If I was terminally ill, they'd suddenly hear from me all the time. My first inclination was to say I'd travel the world, etc, but it means nothing unless I have people I care about with me.
I would do the best I could to let my family let it is okay and to not feel sorrow, but to remember all the good things we have shared together. To have a celebration party, knowing that I am in a better place, free of pain and up there with my late husband and baby. I do not want a sad funeral. Then I would go camping and hiking as much as I could, eat what I want. I would tell the children a part of me lives in them, because they wouldn't be here without me. And I would tell them to be the best people they could be because I love them so much.


P:S: I would eat what I want too! :-) Also might add I have taken cortisone daily to live (with Addison's disease) I would hope it would be okay to withdraw it when the pain gets bad and I would go within a few days. Is that wrong?
I would get a 2nd and 3rd opinion just to make 100% sure that the diagnosis was correct and then I would start to sell off/give away all my stuff and do my best to spend my last year happy... Eat what I want, read everything I could, try to see some sights before I go...





I don't know if I would go as far as this guy my father worked with... This guy had cancer, hid it for a VERY long time, found out that the end was VERY near... He found out that his brother had been scammed out of a VERY VERY large amount of money and they guy had fled the state... Blah blah blah... So he bought a ticket to California, found the guy, killed him, flew back home, and was dead in under 3 months...





This didn't come out until a couple of months after he passed...





It shocked everyone that knew him.
I believe we are all terminal and should live everyday as though it could be our last. If I were told I only had a certain amount of time left, I suspect I would be torn between organizing my closets to leave a good impression and packing up the car with camping gear and going out into the wilderness to soak up as much life as possible and prepare to meet my maker. Oh, heck...who cares about the closets!


You will find me on the bank of some mountain stream with my fishing rod.
Realistically, I wouldn't be doing much that would be different from the


ordinary. Life would still be the same struggle. I'd just realize that my


having to cope with life, would soon be at an end.


I would love to be able to get my oldest grandson back from S Korea


to meet me for the first time, as an adult. And try to get through to our


son, who shuns us. Seeing them both, would make me very happy. I


haven't seen our son in over 15 years. The same for our grandson also.


It would be wonderful to have that family reunion. But money for their


travel would be impossible for us to provide. So I'd hope that they


could provide for their trip.
First I would cry, I know I would. I think anyone would have this reaction to such awful news. After that I would get things in order for my family. I am to be cremated so no worry there for hubby. I don't know of anything else. Maybe I should say that my children would not be allowed to know. I have not seen them for a very long time. Their choice not mine. I don't want them around just because I am dying. Poppy
I can tell you what I did when they told me if I didn't take a shot of hell a week for a year I would die in pain. I laughed.


I have no intentions of dying in pain. I know how to fix that medically.


The best numbers they gave us was 2 to 6 years if I did the treatment.


No shots for me. It's been 4 years and I am as mean and nasty as I ever was . What's more I plan on seeing the end of this age.


Nothing makes Doctors madder than someone not taking their advice.


LOL.
First I would sign myself up for hospice (preferrably a NON-profit) so I would have someone at my beck and call to manage my symptoms and for support. Then I would quit my job because what a waste of time that would be. Then:


Travel to see each of my kids.


Eat all the lobster I could afford while being unemployed.


Write letters to all of my kids.


Snuggle every single night with my SO, more than we do now.


See Israel.


Spend as much time as I could stand, outside and breathe and watch the planet unfold.


Make my peace with God every day.





There's probably more...
I said ';It sucks to be me';. It was a bad day. I had taken care of trouble earlier, no more jerks in my life. Insurance was up to date. Not much to do, really. Just keeping busy, try not to think about it. Hope I get enough warning to pull the trigger.
That's a very good question---head for the mountains I think. I know of nothing more serene than the mountains--calming, beautiful, close to God. I love the mountains--all beautiful mountains!!
I would be so upset, I might have to be sedated.


I imagine the next life to be very sad and lonely without


my family around, especially my kids.
I'd enjoy every day.


Take as many trips as I could.


Arrange everything so my family wouldn't have to go through that.


Spend extra special time with the man I love.
Life is a terminal illness, No one knows how much time they have. Knowing you only have a few months to live, should not change anything.
I think I would take the grand kids to Disney World, take my wife to Hawaii. Would go rent that decked out Hummer for a week, Then come home and wait....
I'd continue to live my life. We all live in a terminal state from the time we are born.
I'd ride across the USA without a helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment