Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How would you handle a mentally ill family member?

This could be a brother or a sister for example. They could be diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia.Making people understand.How would you handle a mentally ill family member?
OF COURSE IT WOULD DEPEND ON THE MENTAL ILLNESS WE ARE DEALING WITH BUT THE FIRST THING I WOULD DO IS RESEARCH THE CONDITION AND THEN GO TO CAREGIVERS SEMINARS TO LEARN AS MUCH AS I COULD ABOUT THE DISEASE AND THE EFFECTS IT CAN HAVE ON NOT JUST THE INDIVIDUAL BUT THE FAMILY AS WELL AND BE PREPARED TO HANDLE THAT SITUATION, AND ALSO DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP FOR YOURSELF IN DEALING WITH THESES PROBLEMS AS THEY CAN BE AS OVERWHELMING FOR YOU AS MUCH AS FOR ANYONE INVOLVED. ALSO DON'T LOSE YOURSELF TO SOMEONES MENTAL DISORDERS KEEP YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT, IN ORDER TO BE STRONG FOR SOMEONE YOU HAVE TO BE HEALTHY YOURSELFHow would you handle a mentally ill family member?
well 1. dont show them if u r emberrased to be in public or anything with them. mentally ill people fell stuff too.


2. if ur talking to someone about your family like ';oh yeah i have two sisters bla bla bla'; dont immeadiatly mention they are mentally ill.


3. if u hear someone dissing them stand up for them dont get all shy and especially dont laugh at them.
with love and respect
My brother-in-law is By Polar and believe me, it is hard to get family to understand how to deal with it. It has taken a lot and I mean A LOT of time to be able to recognize symptoms and know when he is going through what we call one of his ';phases';. And that is the best advice I can give you is time a patience. You can give family and friends as much info on the disease to help them understand, but until they deal with it a few times, it really is hard to understand.





We now know what to do and what to look for. You really have to stay on top of their medication because when they feel like they are well, they believe they don't need it......BUT THEY DO!! It is a life long process. Time and patience. And good luck.
I don't talk about it with people who don't understand it. I talk a lot about it with people I met in a support group for families of the mentally ill. IF you want I'll be glad to send you my e mail address. My husband is bipolar and so was my mother
  • skin care
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment