Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My dog is 16 years old and is ill. If I take him to the vet to have them put him down I think it would be?

really hard on me and my kids. I want to know if I could give him morphine tablets that were prescribed for my sister, who recently died. If they would work, how many should I give him?My dog is 16 years old and is ill. If I take him to the vet to have them put him down I think it would be?
Well, I know it is really hard to give up a pet who has been part of the family for so long. The thing is, you are saying that this would be so hard on you and your kids -- WELL, don't you think that it is hard on the dog being stuck here and feeling really yucky?





If I were you, I would have a nice little sit down talk with the kids to let them know what is going on and then take the dog to the vet. I know it is really hard, but you have to do it. Think about how you would feel if you were helpless and unable to do anything about your situation for yourself and everybody just wanted to keep you around to make themselves feel better. Would you like to be in a situation like that?





I am not saying any of this to be mean, I hope you know that.





It is just part of life, pets are wonderful, but they don't last forever. Unfortunately, unless you are already old, you are very likely to outlive all of your pets.





I know it is really hard, we had to put a dog down who one day was really vibrant and healthy and the next day his legs were paralyzed. The vet said that it was ';coonhound';, being bitten by a racoon and basically being allergic to the bite. From all the we read and learned about, some dogs come out of this after a few weeks and some never do.





We took really good care of him and fed him by hand for a while. Then one day, we were looking in his eyes and he looked so sad and miserable (VERY unlike him) and we decided that if he didn't come out of it by the beginning of the next week, it was time for him to go. It was horribly sad, but we truly believe it was the most humane thing to do.





Please, don't let your beloved dog suffer. Let him (or her) go. I know it is really difficult, but just get one of your favorite pictures of them and get it framed. Remember the good times. Then, after you have grieved and healed for a while, maybe it will be time to get another animal friend.





This was kind of long, I apologize, but I really feel strongly on this issue and wanted to tell you what I thought. I see lots of questions all the time and have never answered one, but this one made me want to go through the motions and answer.





God bless you and your family.My dog is 16 years old and is ill. If I take him to the vet to have them put him down I think it would be?
Be there for your loved one! Take him/her to vet. DON'T let them suffer! They deserve to be shown love until the end.

Report Abuse



just go to the vet and be humane not sadistic


how can killing it at home be better for the kids? get real


LOSER
Well you didn't say if you had , had the dog to the vet and knew what was wrong with it...Are you just going to try to kill it without trying to find out what is wrong? And no,it wouldn't be good to give the pills. Most vets don't charge much to put a pet down. Take it there so it want suffer.
Take him to the vet. It may be harder on you, but it'll be easier on him.
ask the vet to explain to you what is happening to your dog and if he is going through a lot of pain. it may be very sad but it might be best for the dog. but i dont know if it isnt a lot then keep it and enjoy it for as long as you can
It depends on what's wrong with him as to whether the morphine would work or not and what kind of dog you have. The dosage on any animal /or humans goes by weight. I understand the heartache that it causes to lose a loved one, but honestly who are you actually trying to make feel better, your dog or yourself?


We are selfish that way, because we are human. Don't let him suffer more than needed, you will regret it worse than having him put to sleep.
I'm not sure if it would work or not. Isn't it hard NOT to put your animal down at this point? How long would you keep him on morphine? Wouldn't it still be hard then? Do the humane thing for your pet and yourself, you all will need to grieve the death. Very sorry about your sister...this must be extra tough for you right now.
Your vet can tell you over the phone if you can do that %26amp; how many you can give your dog.





But having the dog put down is much easier on everyone--the dog, the kids %26amp; yourself--then he doesnt' suffer!
Take him to the vet, but do NOT put him down. You can easily tell the vet that you do NOT want to euthanize your dog, but rather would like to know if there is any medication available, that's safe, that'll help him.





Do NOT give your dog morphine prescribed to a human, you'll only make things worse, by possibly overdosing.
My condolences on the loss of your sister, it is never easy to lose a loved one and sometimes harder to lose a beloved family pet.


Having had to make that choice for one of my dogs not long ago I know it is difficult to have to face the vet and tell him what you want. It would be far kinder than hoping that someone can give you the right dosage of Morphine tablets. Euthanasia is a simple and painless procedure. I stayed with my dog when they gave him the needle and held his head and patted him as he simply went to sleep. Please consider using your vet's service and not a do it yourself method.
take him to the vet and let the vet do a check up so that u can know how ill he is





if u dont want to put him 2 sleep then u dont have to no vet will force u to do anything





if ur dog is really ill then u should put him to sleep because even though u and ur family will go through alot ur dog is probably hurting more :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment